1. Why Columbus?
In our sixth year doing this, we have learned quite a bit about what we want in a host city. In the end, we're going with Columbus for a myriad of reasons!
- Being central in the country is important to us to include people from all over the US. According to a reliable source (the internet), 50% of the US population lives within 500 miles of Columbus.
- We needed a top tier hotel, and Columbus had an amazing hotel with the same room rate as last year
- Columbus is in a virtual tie for 2nd largest city in the midwest
- The hotel is centrally located next to hundreds of great restaurants and bars so we can walk to nearly everything!
2. When does GeeklyCon Start? What are the hours?
Registration will begin at noon on Thursday, July 18th, 2019. Game Room hours:
- Thursday: Noon - Midnight
- Friday: 10 AM - Midnight
- Saturday: 10 AM - Midnight
- Sunday: 10 AM - 6 PM
Besides the large game room(s), there will also be a smaller room available to us for panels and other fun stuff.
3. What is currently planned? Is all of this set in stone?
We still have a ton of work to do. The dates and location are set in stone, but some of the rest of the details are still being worked on. We will send ticket holders the schedule when it is available.
4. It's my first year, what can I expect at GeeklyCon?
Hold onto your butts, we've got a wild weekend for you! Or, not wild if you prefer to sit said butt on a chair and play boardgames for every waking moment! We have a ton of people who occupy the game room the whole time and take advantage of the giant game library and myriad of GMs waiting to tell you a story. We also have a ton of people looking to get out on the town, check out the sites and hit up bars. Whatever your con experience, you can be sure that you'll make new friends. The Geekly community is incredible, inclusive and welcoming. Everyone is there to make new lifelong friends and have a great time!
5. I'm looking for a hotel roommate or rideshare partner(s), where can I find out about this?
Head over to The Forums to check out the thread on ride shares and hotel shares! Or if you have a ticket already, you can check out the dedicated channels in Slack. Keep checking back for updates and post your own ad while you're at it!
5. I want to DM a game and/or join a game. How I do dis?
Once it is available, you can set up a game, or sign up to play in a game on the GeeklyCon calendar! Further planning is taking place in the GeeklyCon Slack.
6. I want to check out some cool stuff in the city of Columbus, what do you recommend?
Check out the schedule page for a list of outings and things to do around the city!
7. Why should I get the Premium Ticket over the standard?
That swag! Previous Years Included: Metal Dice, Flannel Shirt, Patches, Enamel Pins, Mini Louisville Slugger, Drink Koozies, Stickers, Dice Box, Flask, Dice, etc....
8. I'm new to the Geekly Community, how can I meet people before Geeklycon to increase my funtimes?
Hit up the Forums, on twitter @GeeklyCon, or in our Facebook Group to start connecting with fellow Geeklies! We also have private facebook groups for all the GeeklyCon Houses, and the GeeklyCon Slack is always hopping!
9. I have a great idea! How do I turn my idea into an official panel, event, or outing?
We will announce to ticket holders when our panel submission form is available.
10. What is Slack?
Slack is an online productivity and chat program. We have one set up for GeeklyCon, and we will invite you once you have bought a ticket. If you download the app for your phone, we will be able to push important announcements to you during GeeklyCon itself. If you already have a ticket and need to be invited again, email us at email@example.com. We already have over 200 people in there, so if you want to make some friends before the con, download Slack and come hang out!
11. I'm trying to get sorted into a GeeklyCon House, and it doesn't recognize my email.
First off, that isn't a question. Also, you need to wait to get the email inviting you to be sorted. We aren't some fancy corporation with websites that "work well", so we need to input each email manually. Feel free to email us if you haven't gotten an invite within 48 hours.
12. Is there a deadline for buying a ticket to GeeklyCon?
Sort of. There is always a chance we will sell out. Also, you get a free tshirt and swag bag if you order your ticket before May 1st. Tickets will continue to be available (and the price will be the same), but you will just not get the cool stuff.
13. Does the premium ticket include the kickoff party?
YES. BUT SO DOES THE STANDARD TICKET. Everyone gets to go to the kickoff party this year. It won't just be drinking, we will be playing games, and even doing one of the big House competitions. You won't want to miss it!